Friday, March 18, 2016

March Science Cafe: March 22 -- "Gravitational waves: opening a new window on the universe", by Dr. Richard O'Shaughnessy (RIT)



Hi everyone, the Rochester Science Cafe is pleased to remind you that our March Cafe will be this coming Tuesday, March 22, at 7pm in the Community Room of the Pittsford Plaza Barnes and Noble. The speaker will be Dr. Richard O'Shaughnessy, from RIT's School of Mathematical Sciences/Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation. While his talk will not be the first we've had about gravitational waves, it will be, as you may have heard, the first since the science community's first-ever detection of actual gravitational waves, in what was described as the most precise scientific measurement of anything, ever, in the history of mankind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gravitational waves: opening a new window on the universe

Abstract:

Last September, LIGO, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational wave Observatory, detected ripples in the fabric of the universe -- gravitational waves -- produced when, roughly one billion years ago, two binary blacks holes coalesced. But that's only the tip of the iceberg. Gravitational waves from more black holes and other objects will be found, soon. These ripples will unveil a new window on the universe, giving us access to the most luminous, exotic, and mysterious phenomena in astrophysics. In this talk I'll discuss how Einstein's legacy will enable a new perspective into our universe, opening up a new field of astronomy that complements all of our historical efforts to date that focused on electromagnetic astronomy (visible light, radio, x-rays, etc.). I'll also discuss how these new observations will allow us to understand the densest and most energetic objects in the universe, particularly neutron stars and black holes, in ways that were previously inaccessible.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more on the announcement of the first detection of gravitational waves, you can consult the detection paper, the LIGO website, or RIT's own Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation webpages. For more news coverage of the detection:

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/gravitational-waves-spying-the-universes-dark-side-160229.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/5-reasons-you-should-care-about-the-discovery-of-gravitational-waves/

http://www.space.com/32098-gravitational-waves-ligo-congress-hearing.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Spring 2016 series will continue on through May with the following talks:

April 26: Dr. Michael Zemcov (RIT) -- Building Detectors for Cosmology
May 24: Dr. Kara Maki (RIT) -- A Mathematician's Perception on Dry Eye Disease

2 comments:

  1. My Name is Abigail, and am really grateful and thankful for what Dr. ARIBA has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and cause I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help of you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or dr.aribasplltemple@outlook.com,Whatsapp;+2348140439497 and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Herpes, Hepatitis of all types and Cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to testify about how Dr Emua helped me when i had herpes virus. It was all over my body causing constant pounding and messing I can't sleep at night because of the symptoms. This was hell on earth. I have tried everything to get off the virus but nothing comes out I saw so many testimony on how Dr Emua the herbal medicine man help in curing so many people from herpes virus. So i contact him for help and told him my herpes problem. He assure me that i will be okay, he brought some herbal medicine for me and told me how to use it, and i used it for two weeks after i used it i discover i was not feeling the pains anymore, so i decided to go for a test to see if am okay, Luckily for me, i was tested herpes negative, now I believe all these Testimonies about him on the internet about dr emua, he is truly a great man, I am now free from herpes all thanks goes to Dr. Emua for what he did in my life...If you are out there and you have herpes problem or any other disease you have to seek for help through this man because he is going to help you cure your herpes or any other sickness. here is the email of this great herbal healer {dremuahelphome@gmail.com or dremuahelphome@outlook.com call him or add him on whatsapp +234706362817)

    ReplyDelete